Eric Way

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • My Team:Cambridge City
  • LocationRednal

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:19 PM

Very optimistic about the new season, its time to get the Lillywhites back on track. I hope we have a good relationship with Royston as im sure we could swap info on teams.  We can be sure of a hundred per cent regardless.  We finished last season as the form team, lets keep that rolling on.

If we can, we should walk this league. Theres nothing wrong with confidence, without it, there is no success.  Lets hope the shed reappears.  I remember standing with the old kop at the old Milton road when we had 1,000 plus gates.  Anyone left from that time?

#2 Alfie

Alfie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCambridge

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:13 PM

I'm hopeful rather than optimistic as we do seem to be weak in one or two positions, but I'm sure Robbie will be constantly looking to strengthen the squad.

Some of us can remember when 4,000+ would have been the average gate at Milton Rd and 1000 would not have been unusual for a reserve team game, but sadly those days are unlikely to return this season!

I'm not that keen on seeing the shed re-appear. Some of them were responsible for some very unpleasant language aimed at opposition players, supporters and officials as well as some of our own supporters. A number of our very loyal, long serving supporters, were driven away by their activities, a great loss.

To return to the main topic, I believe that re-organisation of the leagues means that there will be not one but two automatic promotion places from our division, but on the other hand, how often do we see clubs who are ground-sharing get promotion? We can but hope.

What we need is a decent cup-run. The money, the publicity and the probability of increasing our support base would be a real shot in the arm for everybody. 

#3 Linford Christie

Linford Christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • My Team:CCFC
  • LocationCambridge

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:05 AM

I'm not that keen on seeing the shed re-appear. Some of them were responsible for some very unpleasant language aimed at opposition players, supporters and officials as well as some of our own supporters. A number of our very loyal, long serving supporters, were driven away by their activities, a great loss.

Whilst I totally agree that there were some colourful moments from occupants of The Shed it was often no worse than what I heard from other areas of the ground. The shed would affect the acoustics and make it sound louder 😂

What The Shed haters need to remember is:

- The Shed formed the CCAG and stood up to Eastham, George and York. The CCAG led to the formation of the Supporters Trust.

- The Shed members have raised £1000s for the club from fundraising, buying merchandise, donations, supporting the Legends Bar and sponsorship.

- The core of The Shed never walked away like so many other 'loyal, long serving supporters' have. More like the going got tough and they deserted what they thought was a sinking ship.

Whilst I appreciate it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, would you really turn all those paying fans away and go back to the library atmosphere of the 1990s?
Off to Scotsdales with all my cronies.

#4 Alfie

Alfie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCambridge

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:16 PM

I greatly admired those who attempted to raise our profile and increase our attendances by organising the half time penalty competitions for schools. You may recall that the children were invariably accompanied by parents, siblings etc. For many, it was their first visit to Milton Rd. I used to make a point of speaking to some of them to try and make them feel welcome and on more than one occasion I was told that they wouldn't come again because they didn't want their children exposed to the bad language, and some wouldn't even stay for the end of the game.

I can remember, as a young lad, standing on the terraces at Milton Rd with 4000 +, on one occasion 8000 spectators. There was no stewards, and they weren't needed. If anybody's language got too ripe, invariably somebody in the crowd would say something like, 'Steady on pal, remember there's ladies and children here', and that would be an end of it.

Perhaps I come from a different age, but if only the 'shed' had policed themselves things might have been a lot different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users